25th April: Combine Seat
I thought I would improve the Combine seat pad , working at home, which had obviously been exposed to the elements over the last 60 years!
I thought “just replace the rotten plywood base and make a new cover….”
When I started to take it apart, all the internal springs were rusty and everything fell to bits!
I have sourced some new springs on the internet and made some new metal clips (cut from an old combine guard) to hold them all together within the original square frames and started to recreate the seat to resemble the original!
I have plenty of hessian and felt padding left over from upholstering my vintage car seats a few years ago! ( my motto is never throw anything away, it may come in handy). We’ll see how it all turns out!
1st May: Combine seat update …
We have just finished it !
The last three stages when it has changed from looking like a Christmas cake to a seat.
Catherine helped with some of the sewing machine work
Tried it this morning and had a Cinderella moment !
Next job- adapting some “new old stock” binder canvases we bought on eBay about 3 years ago to fit the “new ” McCormick binder …..!